Tuesday 23 December 2014

Winter Solstice and time for hibernation

Detail from Aenghus Óg - more details are HERE
On the longest night we sat in the dark silence of winter and as the light returned to illuminate
the chamber at Newgrange I lit a candle to welcome the suns' rebirth.


Although we have a few more seconds of daylight now the weather is firmly set to winter and
for me it is the time of year to hibernate: to rest, to dream and to go inwards.


It is a time when I am often inspired with new images for paintings or form new connections to
older ideas. It is an interval when I read books, write in my journal or sit and reflect.

'Elder Mother' © Jane Brideson
So until the green shoots appear I wish you all the blessings of hibernation.
May you awaken refreshed and renewed!

To read about Winter Solstice sunrise at Newgrange please visit -
Irish Archaeology
For a tour of the complex, video and more information visit - Voices from the Dawn
Places inside the mound to witness the return of the sun are limited but a lottery is drawn every year.
To take part please visit -  Newgrange.com

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Jane: Your hibernation time sounds blissful! Happy New Year to you both. It has been such a pleasure getting to know you and your art.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it has been lovely to meet you Carol! Hope you get some hibernation time too & may 2015 bring you many blessings. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Jane!
    I used to go to cave between 25th until early jan when I lived back home.The few times I've been home over the last couple of years I have applied to be at Newgrange as I can imagine its an exceptional experience. It's strange being here at summer solstice and new moon when things are all anew and a live but wonderful. Lots of love to you both and toby xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Grace - yes it must be strange for you especially as you have spent time back home recently.
    Have a great time whatever you do.
    Love to you both. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of this kind of hibernation. How inspiring that must be. Your images are beautiful and reflect your inner tranquillity. Hibernate well, dear Jane! My best wishes to you and Mr Heron this festive week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val - Many thanks! Hope you manage some hibernation yourself. Many blessings to you. x

    ReplyDelete

If you have enjoyed reading this blog please leave your thoughts in a comment and I will respond. I moderate this blog so Anonymous comments & Spam will be deleted.