Saturday 5 May 2018

Small Rituals at Bealtaine.


Flowers left on the fairy thorn.

It has been a long, hard winter. 
The greening of the land was slow this year but a walk along the river showed blossoming blackthorn
and blue hills released from snow.





Further afield Knocknaman, THE HILL OF THE WOMEN was decked in new growth.



Cnoc na mBan, Knocknaman, Co. Offaly, site of ancient hilltop fires at Bealtaine.


In the past I’ve celebrated Bealtaine with friends, in circles and woods at bonfires and sacred sites.
These days I quietly acknowledge the changing year around my home with small rituals, 
visiting the special places in the local landscape.

May Eve, Oíche Bealtaine, brought a gentle warmth as I decorated the MAY BUSH besides my door to welcome the summer with flowers.  





Slips of Mountain Ash protected the house from unwanted attentions of those who roam on this night.





As the evening deepened I left butter on a fairy path for the Good Neighbours




and milk by the old stone.




During the days that followed there were offerings at the river,
 on whitethorn 



and water.



 And flowers to greet the Good People at the places where they gather.


Decorated fallen thorn by the fairy path.



On the path to the fairy mound at SHEEAN





Tonight, on the old date for Bealtaine, the traditional fires will be lit upon the Hill Of Uisneach 
and my own small bonfire will join with others to welcome another summer.

***

All offerings left on trees are removed at the end of my Bealtaine devotions.


2 comments:

If you have enjoyed reading this blog please leave your thoughts in a comment and I will respond. I moderate this blog so Anonymous comments & Spam will be deleted.